I work with a lot of people on a day-to-day basis who are trying to do great things in the world.
Like start businesses.
Or social movements.
Or write books.
Or rock their career.
Or build relationships with engaging, creative, connected people.
And despite the fact that every single one of them is smart and talented, with unique contributions to give to the world, they all fall into a moment of panic at some point in the process.
It looks like this:
Me: So are you ready to move forward with your plan?
Them: I know what I have to do, but I don’t know if I can do it! Who am I to pretend to be a successful (artist) (coach) (consultant) (masseuse)? What if everyone looks at my website and laughs hysterically that I would even consider selling my services? Why would anyone ever want to connect with me?
Me: Time for a little work on your backbone.
I spend a lot of time, I mean A LOT of my time, as a coach reminding people that they are important. And valuable. And have a right to speak up.
Some believe me right away. Others take some time, and exercises to come to the realization.
My next book is going to be all about the ways that we ignore our power, avoid it, question it. And what to do about it.
Because if your lack of self-confidence, or what my friends down south call cojones, is not addressed, you will contribute a small fraction of your greatness to the world.
This is a shame.
So here is what I want to do about it:
Conduct one-month super-charged course over the telephone with creative, enthusiastic, but slightly unsure people who really, really want to feel their strength and power.
There will be straight talk.
And homework (the fun kind, not the stressful kind).
Like taking pictures of your favorite place.
And finding the perfect music mix that makes you feel like the cool, confident person you really are.
And rewriting your story so that you are the hero, not the timid sidekick.
What this will NOT be:
This is not a how-to class for 10 ways to build blog traffic or create a solid business plan or fix the Search Engine Optimization on your website.
This is a class to make you feel more powerfully about YOU.
If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?
Why am I teaching this class?
Because I want MORE people to feel their strength so that they stop wasting time doubting themselves when they have everything they need to make a difference in the world.
It kills me to see smart people question their worth.
Here is who I would love to work with:
- Graphic Designers
- Social Entrepreneurs
- Software developers
- Sales and Marketing folk
I especially like people who have been told that there is something “wrong” with them because they are too different/young/old/non-traditional/weird/geeky/ to be successful.
What is covered?
- How to identify and claim your own power.
- How to understand the meaning behind what you are trying to do so it fuels you through the tough times.
- How to deal with doubters and detractors and critics that tell you you are not really all that (what Mary J. Blige calls hateration).
- How to communicate your confidence and authority and not sound like an asshole (quoting the technical term from my favorite Stanford Professor Bob Sutton, author of the best-selling book The No Asshole Rule).
What will you get out of it?
- Clarity about your unique super powers and gifts
- A strong shield that will help you deal with challenging feedback
- A clearer sense of your boundaries so you can feel confident with your choices
- Backbone. The chance to look at the thing you want to do and say “Hell YES!”
How does it work?
We have 4-one hour calls over the course of one month. Each class focuses on a particular topic, and there is a homework assignment after each call.
How much does it cost?
That just felt like the right price.
When is it?
Tuesday nights at 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern on:
If you can’t make it, all calls are recorded and posted so you can access them at your convenience. Live participation in the calls is great, but not required. As long as you promise to listen to the recording.
Who am I to teach this class?
I have my doubts and insecurities, areas of weakness and soft spots.
Always have, and always will.
But when it comes to courage, and trust in myself, I have a lot.
- I spent a year abroad as a teenager, studying 11 high school subjects in French.
- And traveled alone through dangerous parts of Mexico and Colombia.
- And went to Brazil by myself so I could train martial arts.
- And ran a successful corporate consulting practice for a decade.
- And started a youth martial arts program to prevent gang violence and despair among the great youth of the Bay Area.
- And performed dance and acrobatics on major stages.
- And landed a book deal from a major publisher.
- And started a blog that moved on to become successful and well-regarded.
- And built relationships with smart, interesting people the world over that write and speak about entrepreneurship and changing the world.
I have done these things because they light me up. And the more I do them, the more I want to do them. Courage builds.
I will not ask you to do anything that I will not do myself.
So are you ready?
Sign up here! Class starts soon and there are limited seats.
P.S. If there is one thing I know as a coach with two decades experience working with people from all kinds of backgrounds, it is that people rarely hold back because they don’t have the information they need. They hold back because they are scared. If this fits you, I would love you to join us.
Life is short. 🙂
Questions? Shoot an email to email@example.com or send me a message on Twitter @pamslim.