Just about an hour ago, Daniel Kehrer asked me (on Twitter of course!): Are you finding lots more folks going freelance because of the economy?
Glad you asked Daniel!
In today’s podcast, I talk with Michelle Goodman, author of the new book My So-Called Freelance Life. It is chock-full of information for people who are considering freelancing on the side, or as a full-time pursuit. The conversation is about 43 minutes and you can find it here.
Michelle and I talk about all kinds of nuts and bolts questions about freelancing including:
- How in the world do you get your first client when you work full-time in a "real" job?
- Should you ever work for free to get started?
- How to you contract for work appropriately to avoid scope creep?
- Should you bother to list your services on the "bidding" sites like Elance or Guru?
- When can "competitors" be a great source of referrals for your business?
I think one of the best ways to test the waters of entrepreneurship, even if you are not ready to leave your job for a few years, is to do a freelance project. Enjoy the conversation, and the book!