We have all been there.
While writing a sales page, we wonder if there are any good examples out there of a similar type of product or service. So we jump on the Internet, hit Google, and find:
Someone who is not only delivering the exact same product or service that you are creating, but doing it while being smarter, cuter, and generally more awesome than you.
Welcome to what Martha Beck terms “compare and despair.”
Here is what to do about it.
And here is the aforementioned “Snap out of it!” clip from Moonstruck.
What do you do when you get hit by an attack of compare and despair? Please share in the comments! My favorites:
- Go for a walk to clear my head
- Hug my kids
- Hug my dogs
- Read nice things clients have said about my work in the past
- Watch an underdog movie like Rocky
- Listen to John Legend
- Call my Dad (that always works)
- Call my best friend Desiree (that always works too)
- Check in with my clients and encourage them (boy, does that work!)